Thursday, September 28, 2006

busy busy busy

The title says it all. Midterms coming up and it seems the work is now coming in waves. Non-stop waves. I think my "work" week is now between 50-60 hours a week, perhaps more. So why no update? That's why.

I'll move on to an editorial sort of thing this time in response to an article about Reggie Bush and his "scandal." Let. It. Go. College players deserve their cut, plain and simple. Yes college ball is supposed to be an amateur event, but it is undenyable that the players generate millions upon millions of dollars for both their schools and the slave owners otherwise known as the NCAA. I totally understand, and agree with, the notion that college sports should remain largely an amateur event, but the players should certainly get more than a scholarship. When you're making millions of dollars for any organization, shouldn't you get something in return? I mean, no, don't pay them $2 million a year, but at least throw them a bone. If the player is good enough that he can get endoresements, then let him do so and impose a limit. I'm not asking the schools to pay them an outrageous amount, but if Nike is willing to pay shouldn't the players at least be able to say "yea, ok?" Impose a limit, $100k a year, tops. Is that unreasonable? I for one don't think that's anywhere near unreasonable. Players dedicate I don't even know how many hours a week to practice and games which pretty much eliminates the possibility for them to work. How are they supposed to juggle school, sport, and a job? Some claim that they're there for an education (which should be the ultimate goal), but how can you expect student athletes who, like many of us, will probably need more money than allowed by the school to live within the strict budgetary confinment that is a college budget? Most of us can say, I need money, I'm going to go pick up a job. But I question whether a student-athlete has the time to go pick up that job that so many of us need. While they're busy filling the wallets of their respective schools and the NCAA, their own wallets are emptied day by day like the rest of us students. Don't pay them like A Rod, that would no doubt completely kill the amateur aspect of college sports, but don't disregard the fact that they probably will, at some point, need more money than their school budget provides. One of the fundamental thoughts in our society is that one shouldn't benefit unfairly at the expense of another, but isn't that exactly what the NCAA is doing by denying student athletes the ability to be paid while they sit back and just watch the money roll in? Talk about benefitting at the expense of another.

Ok, this probably sounded really stupid, but it's late and I'm tired. I'll read what I wrote in the morning. Only then can I appreciate how utterly stupid I must have sounded just now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home