Saturday, January 27, 2007

life

So life is essentially work, sleep and pursuit of happiness. If you're lucky, you'll find it. Now, if you don't believe that life is precious, that you're here but your existence is insignificant, that there's no such thing as a soul or reincarnation or anything; once you're dead, that's it, you're dead. The world won't change significantly and you won't know the difference because, well, you're dead. Then what is the point of life? I mean, what's the point of working and working and working in hopes of one day finding the all so elusive "happiness?" Seriously. You live life in hopes of finding happiness and for some it happens. They find happiness. But if you don't or if you're still looking, and you believe all those things (basically that life has no purpose because we are ultimately insignificant), then what's the point of living? I mean, I'm not saying "life is meaningless, go jump off a cliff," but just, what is the point? I reckon for many it's that you don't want to hurt those around you which is a perfectly good and legitimate reason to not jump off a bridge; however, that fails to answer the question, what's the point of life? I've just been pondering this question more and more the last few years. I really don't have an answer besides the pursuit of happiness, but if you won't know the difference once you're dead then what's the point of that pursuit in the first place when, it seems, many of us will never find it? I really don't know.

Disclaimer: In no way, shape, or form am I contemplating jumping off a bridge.

1 Comments:

Blogger None said...

Good question. Always good to think about the big issues at times.

Some would say that the mission of life is (perhaps ironically) to define and ascertain your own meaning, and then act accordingly. So you ask the right question, but to look for an objective answer is misguided. The real question is: What will you make the meaning of YOUR life? Or, at this stage of the game, what's your best guess as to what that meaning will be. (You've got a long way to go, my friend, until you can say you're done; this is an evolving process, trust me.)

For me, the knowledge that I'll leave behind friends, family, and the works I've done - all of which lasts, and is passed on to a degree to others - is pretty meaningful. And gives shape to the meaning of my life.

For whatever it's worth.

Now get back to studying. :-)

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home